Saturday 9 January 2016

I'm turning into my Mother!



I seem to have reached a point in my life, where every time a catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror, I am greeted by my mothers face.

Now this isn't a bad thing. My Mum is quite a looker. I just didn't realise that this transformation would happen so early on. I have recently caught myself saying a few of the phrases that she often said to me. Here are a few examples:

1. 'Don't put that there, you might burn the house down!' 

My Mum is an anxious woman, she finds the danger in ANY situation and worries 100% of the time. But she's often right. Don't put snow globes in the window. Just don't.

2. 'I'm not coming back to it' (general house mess)

Totally get this one. I say it at least 5 times a day. Coming back to a messy house sucks.

3. 'Let me just whip the hoover round a minute'

4. 'Can you just run upstairs and get me ................ your legs are younger than mine'

My Mother was in her twenties. Her knees were fine! We are both just a bit lazy.

5. 'You know I love you, but I need a night off'

I hated it when my Mum used to go out every once in a blue moon (massive separation anxiety). I'm so lucky that it doesn't bother the girls when I go out. They are usually glad to see the back of me!

6. 'Shut your eyes Dan'

This was usually said during the sex scene in Dirty Dancing, or the bits in the Indiana Jones films when the baddies were being killed. Although Mum thought she was protecting me it actually terrified me. After watching those films as an adult I now know that what I was imagining, was far worse than what was actually taking place on screen! 

I usually explain to Bella that if something begins to frighten her on screen it is up to her to turn it off or shut her own eyes. I also don't force her to watch films like THE GREMLINS.Yes Mother, I'm talking to you.

7. 'I'll tell you when you're older'

I was usually met with this when asking about anything of a sexual nature. Usually when Bella asks questions we try to be as honest as possible in a manner that is appropriate to her level of understanding. That way she will grow up knowing that she can ask us anything.

8. 'Right, I'm phoning Santa!'

I pulled this one out a few times last November. Not my finest moments.

9. 'Did you wash your hands properly?'

10. 'Don't eat that, you'll get worms

11. 'We aren't going out until it's done'

Usually homework or cleaning.

12. 'I'm going to count to three. One.....'

Mum never even used to have to say 'one' to be honest! Usually it was just that look, the Mum look, and that was that. Best behaviour.

13. 'Gimme a minute'

14. 'Stop showing off'

15. 'Use your indoor voice please'

Why are children so loud? Their hearing is better than ours isn't it? And yet they shout everything!

16. (Going into a shop) 'Don't. Touch . Anything'

I have added 'if you break anything, we will have to trade you', seems to work.

17. 'What do you look like?'

18. Don't you talk to me like that.

19. Excuse me,  who is the Mother in this relationship?'

Imagine Ewina and Saphie from Absolutely Fabulous and you've pretty much got our relationship in a nutshell. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it. You're in for a world of joy.

20. 'I'm sorry'

My Mum wasn't always perfect and neither am I, but she always admitted her mistakes and apologised and this is something I always try to do. I always knew how loved I was because my Mum was always strong enough to say sorry and remind me. She showed me how to take responsibility for my mistakes and move forward. She also taught me about forgiveness.

21. 'I love you'

There was not one single day that went by during my childhood when my Mum didn't tell me that she loved me. She told me first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She kissed me, cuddled me and made sure that I always knew how much I meant to her. She still tells me every time We talk and I tell her. Knowing that there will always be someone on the planet that truly loves you that much, is really all you need to get by in life.

22. 'I am so proud of you'

Mum usually tells me this just before I achieve something I have been working towards. It's often the little nudge I need to get there. It was and still is her way of saying, 'I'm already proud of you, so you can never fail in my eyes. But keep going because I believe in you'.

I have so much to thank my mother for. She had me young, raised me by herself and worked hard every single day. She survived helping get me through university with a baby. She endured some pretty horrendous verbal abuse during both of my labours and has always supported Steve and I. 

She set an incredible example from the moment I was born and a standard that I hope I will live up to.

Now we are both adults and our relationship is so different. We laugh our buts off whenever we are together and still argue like cat and dog. Even though we are both married now, she is still my very best friend and a wonderful Nan to Bella and Connie, and I now have a Mum and a Dad that I love with all my heart.


My Mum and Step Dad Ben


Mum's wedding - I never thought I would be a bridesmaid with my own daughter!


My Mum gave me away in Feb When Steve and I finally got married.



This is me on a log flume at the tender age of two. My Mum is the one wearing peach. Nice work Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment