Saturday 11 April 2015

I really hope that wasn't poisonous.



I try to feed my children a balanced, nutritious diet full of vegetables, fruit the odd sweet treat here and there. 

Apparently though, there are times when what I provide is just not enough, and my children have looked elsewhere in order to satisfy their very specific cravings. 

There have been a few times since becoming a Mum, when I have been forced to ask my Mother, Nan, Best friend Lou and even Google the frequently asked question, "what do I do if my child eats a ........."

Yesterday I  took my eyes off of Connie for all of 30 seconds and she ate roughly an entire child's handful of butter! She didn't seem to mind, although she was rather thirsty for a while after, and smelt like cake for the rest of the day. It didn't stop her asking for more though.

Connie seems to quite like exotic cuisine. One day last year, in the height of Summer, I had managed to trap three massive Daddy Long Legs spiders all within an hour. I'm petrified of spiders, but I hate killing them, so I usually pop them under a glass and then leave them in the porch until Steve gets home, and the. I let him get rid of them. I had managed to trap all three under individual glasses and then left them in the porch. I then nipped out to the kitchen to grab some wet wipes, and this was the scene I returned to...

Connie had managed to toddle into the porch, closing the door behind her. When I walked in, each of the three glasses was empty and the spiders were nowhere to be seen. 

I spent the rest of the day in a panic because someone had once told me that Daddy long legs spiders were among the most poisonous in the world! I was just praying that she hadn't actually eaten them and that they had managed to magically scurry away to some secret hiding place.

This was not the case. I won't get graphic, but the evidence was in the nappy the next morning.

It's ok though, she lived.

Here is a list of things that my daughters have survived (and quite enjoyed) eating, along with their reactions. So if you ever find yourself uttering the words, "oh my gosh, did she just eat that? Do you think she'll be ok?" hopefully this list will be of some use. 

(Obviously a doctor would probably be your best bet in terms of advice, but our general rule is that if it's organic not chemical, it's probably not going to do masses of harm, unless it's part if the mushroom/berry family).

1. Ants - no reaction, just kept trying to eat the rest of their little friends.

2. Rabbit food - spat it out. 

3. Own poop - vomit
(one of Bella's nappies exploded in the night while we were sleeping and clearly she just couldn't resist).

4. An entire box of cigarettes - very smelly vomit.
(this one was actually me - I think I was about 2 and found them in the back if the car).

5. Grass - no reaction.

6. A buttercup flower - no reaction

7. Talc - coughing and sneezing (this one was Steve when he was little, apparently he was covered in the stuff).

8. Play dough - no reaction, just didn't like the taste.

I'm sure there will be more to add to this list as time goes on. The main two things we have learnt is that it takes a child roughly two seconds to find a delightful and potentially dangerous little treat to eat so you really do need eyes in the back of your head. 

But when they do inevitably end up eating something a bit odd, the important thing is not to panic! They really are robust little creatures, and it will usually just pass straight through.

Always trust your instincts though, and if you are worried, take your child to A&E or call NHS Direct for advice. It is always better to be safe than sorry and will put your mind at ease. 

Danielle

Like us on Facebook - The Accidental Parent Guide 

Follow us on Twitter @accidentlparent


No comments:

Post a Comment